This document was adapted by Ndapewoshali Ndahafa Ashipala in 2022, from a list originally compiled by Hermien Elago and Ndapewoshali Ndahafa Ashipala in 2020; for information-sharing purposes only. Although we are mental health activists, we consulted mental health professionals, we are not mental health professionals and strongly advise that the list be used as a guide to engage mental health professionals. The list is not exhaustive and should in no way be interpreted as complete or exhaustive of all centers and professionals in Namibia. The information provided is for general informational purposes only. All information is provided in good faith, however, we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information. Under no circumstance shall we have any liability for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the information or reliance on any information provided. Your use and your reliance on any information is solely at your own risk.
- We will be updating this every few months, as we conduct more in-depth research. Always consult the Psychology Association of Namibia (PAN) if you require advice. http://www.psychologynamibia.org/find-a-practitioner-near-you/
1. Telephonic counselling. 2. Schedule a face to face session. Toll-free counselling numbers. 116 & 106. Monday to Monday 08:00-18:00. Or Tel:+26461555422 or +264811400222 or +26461226 889 | Email:Info@lifeline.org.na | Website: http://www.lifelinechildline.org.na
MINISTRY OF HEALTH: DEVELOPMENTAL SOCIAL WELFARE SERVICE
Mental Health Hospital, Local Clinics and Hospitals offer free counselling, psychiatric and rehabilitation services by qualified professionals.
ETEGAMENO RESOURCE & REHABILITATION CENTRE
Responsible for the treatment and rehabilitation of alcohol and drug dependent individuals and their families under the Directorate Social Welfare Services. Tel: +26461269348/ +26461250404
Social Work Department Central Hospital, Tel:+264612033499
Mental Health Department Central Hospital,Tel:+264612033321
NAMIBIA RED CROSS SOCIETY
Head Office: Tel. +(264) 61 413750
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Katutura
KHOMAS: Tel. +(264) 61 400392 | Windhoek
KUNENE: Tel. +(264) 65 273135 | Opuwo
ZAMBEZI: Tel. +(264) 66 253415 | Katima Mulilo
GROOTFONTEIN: Tel. +(264)67 243909 | Grootfontein
KAVANGO: Tel. +(264) 66 256127 | Rundu
KHORIXAS: Tel. +(264) 67 331277 | Khorixas
OHANGWENA: Tel. +(264) 65 263286 | Eehnana
OMUSATI: Tel. +(264) 65 251539 | Outapi
OSHIKOTO: Tel. +(264) 65 240688 | Onandjokwe Hospital
CHURCH: Most churches across the offer free counselling.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS IN WINDHOEK
Cell: +264 81 325 6144 | Email:email@example.com | Website: https://alcoholicsanonymousna.wordpress.com/contact-aa-namibia-today/ . Meetings take place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 19h00 – 20h00 at the Methodist Church opposite the Windhoek Public Library in Lüderitz Street.
Offers free counselling services and referrals to victims, survivors and anyone affected by Gender Based Violence 08h00-17h00
KHOMAS: +264817033203 / firstname.lastname@example.org
OMUSATI: +264815584004 / email@example.com
ERONGO: +264815584008 / firstname.lastname@example.org
THE MINISTRY OF LABOUR: Offers counseling at the regional offices.
AFTERCARE SUPPORT GROUPS FOR ADDICTION
Usakos: +264818608326 | Outjo: +264812558683
Walvis bay: Lekobane/Gail +26464 216366/216322
Website: http://philippinamibia.com/philippi-counselling-philosophy/ | Tel: +264 61-259291 | N$100.00pp per 1 hour session | Email: email@example.com | Address: Erf 7693 Ara Street, Dorado Park
PROFESSIONAL COUNSELLING: KIDS & ADULTS
Tel: +264814436821 | N$100.00pp, per 45mins session
MEDICAL AID/CASH REQUIRED
OKONGUARRI THERAPEUTIC CENTRE
MOUNT SINAI RECOVERY CENTRE
Address: Plot42 (104.19 mi),Usakos | Cell: +264818608326
THERAPISTS, PSYCHOLOGISTS AND PSYCHIATRISTS IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR
PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION OF NAMIBIA
Find a Psychologist Near You – A list of psychologists per region and their contact details | Website: http://www.psychologynamibia.org/find-a-practitioner-near-you/
TELECOM NAMIBIA YELLOW PAGES
Website: http://www.yellowpages.na/psychologists/psychologists/ and the hardcopy telephone directory available at all Telecom office under the yellow pages and medical professionals section.
VIRTUAL HEALTH SERVICES
Tel: +264 81 354 7571
1. When deciding on which mental health professional to go to, different factors should be considered such as financial implication (which is how this document divides the list). However, finding the correct therapist/mental health professional for you, may take a few tries and you might take in to account other factors such as religion, race, age, your preferred language etc. that will help you feel more comfortable.
2. Trust the process. You probably won’t get a one step, quick fix. Don’t give up.
WHEN TO GET HELP
Sometimes, people disregard their signs and symptoms as a normal part of life or avoid treatment out of shame or fear. If you’re concerned about your mental health, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Don’t hesitate to seek help!
Each mental health condition has its own signs and symptoms. In general, however, professional help might be needed if you experience the following:
1. Worrying more than usual (excessive anxiety)
2. Finding it hard to enjoy your life or not being able to cope with problems or daily activities
3. Extreme mood swings
4. Prolonged sadness, depression or apathy
5. Substance misuse/abuse (or increased use)
6. Marked changes in personality, eating or sleeping pattern.
7. Feeling disconnected or withdrawn from normal activities
8. Excessive anger, hostility or violent behavior
9. Thoughts or statements about suicide or harming others